Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Random Crush & Old Movie Review

So I know I claimed I would not be blogging, but something important came up.  Namely, the fact that I had an epiphany, and I think I gave myself a small allowance for blogging about things of that nature.

I came to the realization that I really like the movie Coming To America, starring Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall.  Also, in a bizarre twist, I totally have the HOTS for Eddie Murphy in this movie!  I know, he hasn't been really funny since the 80s (although my grandmother LOVED that movie where he played the obese scientist), but still!  His character in C2A is totally dreamy, and he has the most winning and adorable smile ever.
  And, Arsenio Hall and that earring!  Need I say more?  In addition to this, they do those very authentic Zumundian/African accents and they play all the guys in the barber shop, among other characters.   The clothes are to DIE for.  Acid wash pleated mom jeans on the dudes, super tiny crop tops and mini skirts for the ladies, jheri curls, lots of VERY strong and regal shoulder padding. The attention to detail is what really takes it past the realm of just good costume, and elevates it to something that is truly historically significant.
The love story is also so great, and I dunno if it is a spoke in my menstrual cycle, but it really touches the cockles of my heart.  (AKA I was tearing up, so yes, this is menstrually related).  But like when he looks at her, it is so sexy/tender/sexy.  Love that!!

There is also the bonus of Samuel L. Jackson as "Hold Up Man!"  It kind of makes me wonder, is this one of the first movies where he perfected this attitude/character, which I guess he has been using a lot in the years since then (as noted from that amazing soundboard I just linked). 


The movie has been on HBO like every time I turn on the TV.  And I am NOT a big TV person at all, so this is another instance of that unfortunate (or very fortunate!) situation where you manage to always catch the exact same scene of that exact same rerun of whatever show... etc.  But, in this case, every time I see it on TV, I have to watch. It's like what Overboard was to my very eventful 2010.  Same deal.

I feel so much better! I just had to get this off my chest, so thanks for hearing my confession.

1 comment:

MARY said...

HI DANIELLE THIS IS MARY I AM LEAVING YOU A COMMENT